This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] What parts of Goodrelations are implemented by major search engines?

László Török ltorokjr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:12:10 CET 2011

Hi,

I was going over the GoodRelations wiki in the last too days, a very
comprehensive work even if some of it is still WIP.
The wiki is well formulated, I did not have any issues with understanding
the concepts and methods described there.

However, there is one important missing page that is essential for adopters
on the data provider side IMHO.
Considering the compelling use case of semantic SEO and increased visibility
via marking up the products and services with GoodRelations, I cannot
currently tell, what part of the GoodRelations vocabulary is supported by
major search engines (Yahoo, Google). I found the links to Google Rich
Snippets and Yahoo Searchmonkey, however, I am still missing something like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(HTML_5).

It is clear that there is a chicken-and-egg problem with respect to who
should implement support first. (data providers or data consumers).
Therefore, I am sure there will be arguments, that the more data providers
implement, the higher the incentive for search engines to support it.

However, if I am running an e-commerce site even as small as simple web shop
running on a shared server, I want to be able to assess the return on
investment that goes into the semantic markup.

Has this concern been raised previously?

Many thanks,

Laszlo Török