This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Reviews / Bug in Google's documentation

Martin Hepp martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Fri Jun 24 09:22:04 CEST 2011

Dear all:
Apologies for the confusion - the main cause of the problem is that Google is also accepting properties from the Yahoo review vocabulary http://purl.org/stuff/rev# without telling us ;-)
And the min/max rating in that vocabulary is underspecified - I thought it indicates the range of existing ratings (e.g. from 3 to 5), but Google seems to use as the range of the possible ratings.

The unfortunate effect is that a 4.5 rating with min=4 and max=5 means that Google would display only 2.5 stars on a 5-star-scale, because 4.5 is in the middle between 4 and 5.

So the official recommendation from our side is now to NOT USE review:minRating and review:maxRating. Simply delete the two lines:

The complete pattern is

> 	  xmlns:v="http://rdf.data-vocabulary.org/#"
> 	  typeof="gr:Offering" about="#offer">

Still, v:average seems to be the correct property instead of v:rating for Google. But we asked them for clarification. Our tests show that both seem to work.

Best

Martin Hepp