GoodRelations - The Web Vocabulary for E-Commerce

This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] About news related to offerings

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at
Fri Jun 11 14:43:28 CEST 2010

Hi Andrés,
thanks for your post.

1. In general, I would suggest to use relative URIs for the "about"
attribute so that the final element will have a hash URI reference that
point to the page containing the markup, rather than to an external page.

So in a page at, you should rather have

Otherwise, someone trying to look up the definition for ...#post from
the "semantic web" data will be directed to "", which
does not contain that markup.

Note that "about" in RDFa does not define the topic of the post, but teh
URI to associate with the current HTML element.So @ we
have something like the following:
> This is some content related to the product.
> It also includes a<span typeof="gr:Offering" about="
>"><a rel="foaf:page"
> href="">special
> discount offer</a></span> of the product.
At first view, that looks okay.
> @, something like this:
> (xml name spaces are not shown)
> (some gr markup)
> <a rel="foaf:page" href="">Buy it here!</a>
At first view, that looks okay.
> @, plain and simple: no RDFa markup, just buy the product.
I would also put RDFa for the offer into the somestore pages.

As for authoring (and debugging) such markup, I suggest:

1. Use the Turtle RDF syntax for modeling the data.
2. Convert Turtle to RDF/XML with
3. Convert resulting RDF/XML to RDFa snippet with

For checking whether your markup is correct, use the PyRDFa extractor
and check the resulting RDF in Turtle syntax:

Also see

Best wishes

Martin Hepp
> I already checked out quite some of the GR recipes, as well as the recent
> updates. My main concern is to get relation between URIs correctly, really.
> Am I making the correct connections between the 3 different URLs?
> Also, I tried out with google's Rich Snippet preview tool, and
> it only works with reviews and location markup. I'm sure it should be a
> problem with my syntaxis, though.
> Hope this raises some debate :D. Hope I was clear enough, too.
> Andrés
> ps. If you recognize my last name, I'm Aldo's evil marketing twin.
> goodrelations at

martin hepp
e-business& web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: hepp at
phone: +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax: +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www: (group)
skype: mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:

Resources for developers:

Overview -
How-to -

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"

Overview article on Semantic Universe:

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey