This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] GoodRelations for describing companies and their purpose?

Martin Hepp martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Thu Dec 23 12:37:24 CET 2010

Hi Dieter,
(I am copying the GoodRelations mailing list, because this question is
likely of interest for a broader audience):
On 23.12.2010, at 12:00, Dieter Fensel wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I was checking http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1#BusinessEntity
> but I did not find 5-10 standard attributes for describing a company
> such as:
>
>         - name
use gr:legalName or rdfs:label
>         - location
use the W3C Geo vocab or vCard geo properties (we do not define
properties already available in popular vocabs), see

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Geo_/_Location_Data

>         - uri
for the URI of their web page, use foaf:page or foaf:homepage
>         - email address
use vcard:email  (or foaf)
>         - logo
use foaf:depiction
>         - short abstract
use rdfs:comment or gr:description (not shown in the doc, because it
can be applied to any object.)
>         - business area
typically done by modeling an offer, i.e. if you just have a lexical
representation of it, just attach an rdfs:label to the gr:Offering
You can also use the properties gr:hasISICv4 and gr:hasNAICS in
combination with popular industry classification codes.

>         - major products or services

see my other mail - typically done by modeling an offer, i.e. if you
just have a lexical representation of it, just attach an rdfs:label to
the gr:Offering. A more granular solution is to model
gr:ProductOrServiceModel instances and link them to an offer via
gr:includes and to link to the company via gr:hasManufacturer

>         - yearly turnover

this is outside the scope of GoodRelations, but there may be
respective properties defined already in the DBPedia schema or in
ontologies derived from XBRL.

Best wishes

Martin