This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Google's position on Copy and Paste Snippets aka Hidden DIVs

Colin Angel colinangel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 02:15:45 CET 2010

Hi Martin,

I was very interested in the article you co-authored a while back "RDF2RDFa:
Turning RDF into Snippets for Copy-and-Paste" (
http://www.heppnetz.de/files/RDF2RDFa-TR.pdf) since I believe that the
widespread adoption of RDF will at least partially depend on how easy it is
to implement by the average web contributor. In addition, there are so many
web sites that exist today in public and corporate environments that will
never see RDFa integrated into their legacy content if it requires more than
basic technical expertise to implement.

Looking at the modified Google recipe you provided (
http://www.heppresearch.com/gr4google), I noticed that it uses the
integrated XHTML+RDFa approach using attributes. I haven't seen anything
official from Google regarding whether they would support "stand-alone"
snippets, just their warning to stay away from using hidden content (
http://knol.google.com/k/google-rich-snippets-tips-and-tricks).

I decided to try a "snippet" variant of your above recipe with Google and
Yahoo's respective RDFa testing tools and they both parsed correctly.
Google's didn't complain about hidden content, although it did when I put
the review element at the end of the page. I'll have to assume though that
parsing the page doesn't guarantee that a search engine will actually
display the RDF content in results pages.

Do you think search engines will support and display the content from
so-called "hidden divs" or standalone snippets separated from the
human-visible content of the page? Or is it just too easy a target for
people to game the system by stuffing content into hidden RDFa unrelated to
their page content much like they did with the META keywords tag?

Interested in your perspective,
Colin

--
Colin Angel