This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Canonical URIs for Products in Shop Software / GoodRelations

Ed - 0x1b, Inc. semantics at 0x1b.com
Tue Aug 24 20:12:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Martin Hepp
<martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> Some shop applications, unfortunately, display the very same item at
> multiple URIs. This is problematic for Search Engine Optimization
> (SEO) and the Web of Data alike.

regarding:

> 3. The last option (but the least powerful, yet still much better than
> doing nothing) is to add owl:sameAs statements from the RDFa pattern
> to the canonical URI.
> The canonical URI should also be used for the foaf:page property,
> which is the crucial link from the data to the page from where the
> product can be ordered.
>
> Example:

> "></div>
> xml:lang="en"></div>
> "></div>

Is it better to have the sameAs reference a parallel canonical URI -
like a SPARQL endpoint - unrelated to the website topography (is this
option #2?). Or is there a way to publish all product URI with sameAs
patterns such that the first discovered is taken as the canonical URI
for any following duplicate URI? The objective would be to remove the
web of maintenance from using the sameAs pattern.

Thanks for all the GoodRelations  - Ed