This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] ANN: BestBuy.com starts publishing full catalog as RDF/XML using GoodRelations - 27 million triples

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Wed Sep 16 20:40:04 CEST 2009

Dear Daniel:
Apologies for the delay, I was on vacation.

Daniel Schwabe wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> I am trying to use our tool Explorator
> (http://www.tecweb.inf.puc-rio.br/explorator/demo) with it.
> Without the SPARQL endpoint, all I can do is to deref individual URIs,
> the same way other RDF browsers. However, all triples retrieved get
> stored locally in a repository which is  accessible via a SPARQL
> endpoint.
Note that in the current data, there was a minor issue with the base
URI, which created differences between the URIs for the resources and
the file location, so dereferencing them did not always work. Jay Myers
is already working on that, and sooner or later the data will be
regularly loaded into the LOC dataspace at

http://loc.openlinksw.com/sparql

which will provide a convenient SPARQL endpoint.

> However, I'm having trouble finding "categories for the products" -
> this seems to be a more indirect encoding, and the triples describing
> the actual categories used doesn't seem be included in any of the data
> being made available...

Currently, the items themselves are described by text only, so the
formal account is just that they are
gr:ProductOrServicesSomeInstancesPlaceholders. In GoodRelations, you can
describe items in varying degrees of detail and formal account. What you
do mostly depends on what source data you have. If companies have full
eClass or UNSPSC classification for their catalog, one can have very
detailed item descriptions including quantitative ranges etc.

The following options are the most important ones:

Alternative Ways of Describing the Product or Service

a) gr:ProductOrService + rdfs:comment / textual
b) Product or service ontology, eclassOWL / freeClass
c) DbPedia URIs
d) Turn proprietary hierarchy into pseudo-ontology

BestBuy currently uses a) only, because there were limited resources
available.

d) is also very promising and not difficult; we will have a detailed
recipe at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations#Recipes_and_Examples

shortly.

Basically you apply the algorithm from the attached paper (ISCW2009 demo
/ poster) to proprietary vendor categories.

However, even with the current data, you can do more:
> Am I correct? How would I find, for example, "all digital cameras
> offered by Canon"? I can get the manufacturer, but I can't get
> "digital cameras", afaict...
We have a growing amount of vendor datasheets for consumer electronics
exposed as GoodRelations make and model data, see here for the recipe

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Recipe_4

A dataset to start with is here

http://rdf4ecommerce.esolda.com/sitemap.xml

This allows you to find e.g. the most lightweight camcorders:

# List ten lightest camcorders
PREFIX owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>
PREFIX gr: <http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#>
PREFIX ceo:
<http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/ontologies/consumerelectronics/v1#>

SELECT ?label ?weight ?ean WHERE
{?m a ceo:Camcorder.
?m rdfs:label ?label.
?m ceo:hasWeight ?v.
?v gr:hasValueFloat ?weight.
?v gr:hasUnitOfMeasurement "GRM"^^xsd:string.
OPTIONAL {?m gr:hasEAN_UCC-13 ?ean}
}
ORDER BY ?weight
LIMIT 10

For many models, we have the EAN/UPC in the data set.

You can use that to search for gr:Offering instances that include
products that have this EAN/UPC via the gr:hasEAN_UCC-13 property.

You could even combine functional and commercial aspects, e.g. query for
the mean price of respective offers and then compute the zoomfactor /
price ratio etc.

Even non-linear preference structures could be used to rank potential
matches.

See also the part on Deep Comparison Shopping in  the slide deck

http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/product-variety-consumer-preferences-and-web-technology-can-the-web-of-data-reduce-price-competition-and-increase-customer-satisfaction

(must be in one line; if it does not work, go to
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/)

> So even if I were to collect all these triples (as specified in the
> sitemap.xml), I would still be missing important data to build my own
> endpoint.
>
> Can you clarify this?
Hope this does ;-)

Thanks for your interest, and I hope you don't mind that I CC the
GoodRelations mailing list, for I think this is general interest.

Best wishes

Martin

--
martin hepp
e-business & web science research group

e-mail:  mhepp at computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearcMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://tr.im/grcec09