This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] More than e-commerce?

Nicolas Raoul nicolas.raoul.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 24 14:36:08 CEST 2009

Hello Martin,

> As soon as any brick-and-mortar business or pub around the corner is
> publishing a one-page description of itself on the Web (or even gets listed
> in a database-driven Web business registry), this business is doing
> e-commerce.

Thank you for the clarification.
According to this definition, all commerces (nearly) do e-commerce. It
seems quite different from most definitions I can find at
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:e-commerce

Let's say my grand-father's grand-father used to sell sausages in 1875
and I want to describe it in RDF in my library, which is not connected
to the Internet. Was he doing e-commerce?

An ontology for medecine does not call itself an e-medecine ontology.
Similarly, an ontology for commerce would probably be better described
as a commerce ontology than an e-commerce ontology, in my opinion.

I think GoodRelations is a much-needed ontology, I hope it will get
adopted by many. I am just afraid that most people reading the main
page will assume it is for online businesses:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations

Thanks,
Keep up the good work,
Nicolas Raoul.